6/24/2011

Johnnie Monroe - Looking Out My Projects Window


Nas, Mobb Deep, Tragedy Khadafi, Marley Marl, Johnnie Monroe … You are probably wondering “Who is Johnnie Monroe?”. He got at least 2 things in common with the other mentioned artists: he comes from Queensbridge, and he released a classic. It ain’t about music, but about his book. “Looking Out My Projects Window” brings you to QB and shows you how life is in the Hood. If you didn’t know, queensbridge-international.blogspot.com gives you the opportunity to know. Interview with Johnnie Monroe.

QB-International: Johnnie, please introduce yourself to queensbridge-international readers.

My name is Johnnie Monroe, I am from Queensbridge project, Long Island City New York City!!! QB thun!!! I am the co- founder of 40BEES ENT., a publishing and film company.

You are the author of “Looking Out My Projects Window”, can you tell us more about that book?

I starting writing after reading K'wan's book “Gangsta”, when I was locked up! He and I are friends also. I just wanted to tell a story about a few dudes from my projects. I grew up with Nas, Mega, Havoc, Marley, all of the rappers from my area. I did tours with them in the beginning of their careers. They rapped about guys from my hood, that’s where they got most of their early stories. Like a Nas song, he is very visual with his writing and I just wanted to bring a story about QB like that in a book form. I can’t no way rap like them guys, they are great storytellers. One of Nas songs was “Looking out my Projects Window”! That title stuck in my head. I asked him “Can I use the title?” he said “Yes”! I was inspired by it, I just wanted to tell a real story of what life lessons I got from growing up in QB! 

What is your message through the book?

The book is about a group of guys growing up in QB projects. Carlos is the main character, he got caught up in doing the wrong things to survive in that environment. He knows in his heart that it is wrong, but he makes the choice and he pays for it. I am sure a lot of inner city youths go thru the things he was facing and hopefully this book will give them the insight to see there is another way.

Do you plan to write another book? Are you working on something?

I am plan on putting out the next book QB Chronicles part 1, along with a DVD title the same. I am working with the editors trying to have it done before the summer, so I can start the promo run for a September release.

If you would have 1 word to describe QB, which one would you choose? Why?

Q.B is my hood, I will always rep that! The one word, I would use to describe my hood is real! That would be the first, but there is so much things there you can’t use just one word. I put real first, cause you asked me to choose only one and why I said Real was there are over 10,000 people living there from all kinds of ethnics and walks of life, With the desire to make a better way for their families, and the ones that do a really blessed. Also I would say love because it is a lot of it there too. To many words to say!

If you want to know more about Queensbridge you definitely have to add “Looking Out My Projects Window” to your QB collection. Go to www.40bees.com and buy the book. (Information for people outside the US like me: I received the book 2 weeks after ordering it, so don’t hesitate!)


Nas & Johnnie Monroe

Nas, Mobb Deep, Tragedy Khadafi, Marley Marl, Johnnie Monroe…Vous devez sans doute vous demander 
« Mais c’est qui Johnnie Monroe ? ». Il a au moins 2 points commun avec les autres artistes cités : il est originaire du Queensbridge, et il a sorti un classique. Il ne s’agit pas de musique, mais de son livre. « Looking Out My Projects Window » vous emmène à QB et vous fait découvrir la vie dans le quartier. Queensbridge-international.blogspot.com est allé à la rencontre de Johnnie Monroe. Interview:

Salut Johnnie, pourrais-tu te présenter en quelques mots ?

Salut je m’appelle Johnnie Monroe, je viens de Queensbridge, Long Island City New York City !!! QB mec !!! Je suis le co-fondateur de 40BEES ENT, on travaille dans la publication et la production vidéo.

Tu es l’auteur de « Looking Out My Projects Window », peux-tu nous en dire plus sur ce livre ?

En fait j’ai commencé à écrire après avoir lu le livre de K’wan « Gangsta », quand j’étais en prison. Nous sommes également amis. Je voulais juste raconter une histoire sur des gars du quartier. J’ai grandi avec Nas, Cormega, Havoc, Marley Marl, tous ces rappeurs du coin. J’allais même en tournée avec eux au début de leur carrière. Ils rappaient sur des gars de la cité, c’est ce qui a principalement inspiré leurs premières histoires. Nas par exemple est très visuel dans ses textes, et je voulais raconter une histoire sur QB mais sous forme de livre. Pas moyen que je rap comme eux, ce sont de super narrateurs. Une des chansons de Nas  a pour titre « Looking Out My Projects Window », c'est resté dans ma tête. Un jour je lui ai demandé si je pouvais utiliser ce titre pour mon livre et il a accepté. Ca m’a inspiré. Je voulais juste écrire une vraie histoire sur les leçons de vie que j’ai reçue en grandissant à QB.

Quel est ton message à travers ce livre ?

C’est l’histoire d’un groupe de jeunes gars qui a grandit à QB. Carlos est le personnage principal. Il se retrouve a faire de mauvaises choses pour survivre dans cet environnement. Au fond de lui il sait que c’est mal, mais il fait ce choix et en paie le prix. Je suis sur que beaucoup de jeunes dans les cités sont confrontés aux même problèmes que Carlos. J’espère que ce livre leur montrera qu’il y a un autre moyen de s’en sortir.

Est-ce que tu travailles sur d’autres projets actuellement ?

Oui, je prévois de sortir un autre livre « QB Chronicles part 1 » accompagné d’un DVD du même titre. Actuellement je travaille avec les éditeurs pour que ce soit prêt avant l’été. J’attaquerais ensuite la promo histoire de sortir ça en Septembre.

Si tu avais un mot pour décrire QB, lequel choisirais-tu et pourquoi ?

QB c’est mon quartier, je le représenterai toujours ! Si je devais choisir un mot ce serait « Real » (« Vrai »). Tu sais il y a tellement de choses ici que c’est impossible de ne choisir qu’un mot. Ce serait le 1er que je choisirais. Il y a plus de 10000 habitants ici, venant d’origines différentes, qui se défoncent pour améliorer la vie de leur famille. Mon 2e mot serait « Amour », car il y en a beaucoup ici. Il y a trop de mots à dire !

Si vous êtes de fan de QB « Looking Out My Projects Window » doit faire parti de votre collection. En vente sur www.40bees.com. (J’ai reçu le livre 2 semaines après l'avoir commandé donc vous pouvez l’acheter l’esprit tranquille)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire